The Batavia Township residents are being offered a brush removal program from the highway department. The Brush program Starts approx. the week of April 17th, 2023 and ends approx. October 9th, 2023. During this time period our crew members will run the program once a week, usually every Monday. The brush program is designed for incidental brush (limb or branch breaks) and/or storm damage. With the limited time and manpower our crew has it’s very hard for us to keep up with the brush removal so we ask that you please keep the piles to a minimum. The first picture on this page shows a pile of brush that would be rejected. The second shows how we ask you to stack your brush.
We don’t provide brush pick-up to homeowners who hire their brush and/or tree trimming out to someone. This program is strictly for the homeowner who does their own trimming. If you hire someone or a landscaping company they are responsible for hauling your brush away. This also applies to limbs and logs from tree(s) which may have fallen or been taken down.
The Batavia Township has recently changed its rules and guidelines for the brush program. Due to a large increase in residents using the program and the amounts of brush residents set out every week, we’ve had to come up with a better way to keep up with the demand. The Township will still pick up brush every week from our set dates listed above.
The brush program has the following guidelines to follow.
- All the brush has to be bundled with string or twine, no larger than an arms bundle.
- Roots must be washed to prevent stones and dirt from going through the chipper.
- No poison ivy or poison oak. If either of these plants is found in a brush pile, the pile will not be picked up.
- Pile cannot have wood (not from brush or tree trimming) that may contain metal or nails. Ex:fence posts, railroad ties, boards, plywood or particleboard. These items will not be picked up.
- Bundles cannot exceed the length of 6 feet long and each bundle can weigh no more than 50 pounds.
- No sticks or branches more than 6 inches in diameter.
- Pile must not contain yard waste (flowers, weeds, grass, small sticks under 1 foot in length, evergreen clippings etc.) that can be put in yard waste bags for you garbage collector to pick up.
Please follow these simple guidelines so your brush pile will be picked up. The Batavia Township Highway Department appreciates your patience and cooperation. If you have any questions please feel free to call us anytime at 630-879-5515.
Please keep in mind that there are only two members of our road crew and injury can occur if a brush pile is not stacked and bundled correctly. If injury occurs, the brush program will be suspended until further notice. Please follow these guidelines to prevent injuries and there should be no issues regarding brush removal.
For 2-3 weeks after New Years, we’ll pick up Christmas trees discarded by the township residents.
Week of April 17th, 2023
Brush Program begins (approx)
Week of October 9th, 2023
Brush Program Ends (approx)